Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Is Wrong Right?

When we were all little growing up, we remember seeing and doing things that we all know is wrong. I remember hitting my brothers, taking things that weren't mine, and telling little fibs here and there to keep myself out of trouble.
My idea is that if we have the capacity as children to know immediately right from wrong, why is it today that the world seems to say that the wrong things are right?
I have a fun little story to compare with this. When I was 8 years old, 3 days before Christmas, I went out to play with friends. We found this little pond out back behind some homes in our neighborhood and started to slip and slide and have about as much fun as any other kid could have while playing on smooth slippery ice. Then out of the blue, one of my friends decided to try a little experiment to see who could break the ice first. I saw them grabbing rocks and hurling them into the solid ice. Even at the age of 8, I knew that this was wrong, even if it was fun and a little competitive. But I decided to ignore the risks and safety of others like my friends so willingly surrendered. No one was grabbing anything bigger then their hand, so I decided to try and out do them. I grabbed a big rock and brought it close to my chest and started the journey to the pond without any problems. However, when I stepped foot on the pond, I lost my footing and fell with the rock. It landed on top of my hand. I felt almost no pain when it happened, but when I took off my glove, blood was already running down my arm. When the rock landed on my hand, it fell on my ring finger and split it clean open to the bone. Imagine my 8 year-old self just screaming in terror as he ran to his friend's home to find first aid. His mom helped me clean it out and my dad rushed over to pick me up and take me to the hospital. Eight stitches later, I was OK.
Because I chose to make the decision to ignore my basic instincts, and maybe even the spirit, I now have a scar that will be there for the rest of my life.
Think of this experience and compare it to when we are faced with a choice to choose what's right, or fall into what's wrong.
Many people rationalize and think that a little sin isn't wrong. Maybe going to that friends home may not be a good idea. Or maybe going to a bar won't have any consequences. Even staying out a little too late with your date won't lead into anything serious. But before you know it, there will always be something that will happen, and will leave you with a scar for you to carry the rest of your life.
President Ezra Taft Benson, a past president for the LDS Church said that " You cannot do wrong and feel right, it is impossible!" How true that is!
We all know when we are left with a choice, we know what is the wrong one. We have to keep ourselves far away from those damaging decisions so that we don't have to gain another scar. It's easy to do. Follow those instincts and put off the natural man (Mosiah 3:19) and we will come away winning the battle that all of us are trying to fight everyday. You will always feel something is wrong when you sin, even if you try and deny it. More importantly, you will always feel the effects and consequences after.
Keep on having the faith to conquer and win! With the right attitude and with the correct humility, nothing will harm you and you can keep yourself from adding another scar.

1 comment:

  1. Elder Kjar, I really enjoyed reading your post...good thoughts, and so very true.

    ReplyDelete