Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"Like a Bike Tire..."

So after finishing our studies in the morning, we decided to take the liberty of finding a seemingly old bike tire, and pumping it full of air to see if it had any leaks. Well, it didn't have any leaks, and so we decided to just keep pumping and pumping. Well before you know it, the tire was the size of a python! Still though, we continued to pump and pump, probably out of our own curiosity and stupidity. Before we knew it, we had finally taken the tire to the limit and watched the thing blow up in our faces! Like a gunshot, we stepped back and laughed at the fact that we probably woke a couple of neighbors. But it was worth the satisfaction of seeing the outcome.
This is what it is like to be with my companion Elder Tomoser. He has taught me a lot over these past couple of weeks and has been a real blessing to me. But after this little experience, it made me think about how that grossly overinflated bike tire is a lot like most of our lives.
Be it stress, guilt, or bottled feelings, it's just waiting to burst at the seams! When it bursts, it will be like a gunshot.
I had an experience that taught me about what kind of feelings people keep bottled up. Coming home after working in the rain, we promptly made the effort to make some dinner. Elder Tomoser made some pretty good clam chowder and was dying to pull it out of the microwave. As I was engaged in my studies during dinner time, when suddenly, a crash! Broken glass and clam chowder everywhere! Elder Tomoser was so upset at the fact that he will never have the opportunity to partake of the desired clam chowder, seeing as that was the only can he will be able to heat up until P-day. Thinking he had the situation out of control, I went back to my desk and continued to study through dinnertime. Well, all of the sudden out of the blue, Elder Tomoser turned on me and started to yell! He was upset at the fact that I didn't help him clean up his mess. Granted, I should have really helped a man who just lost his only chowder, but I felt offended at the fact that he lashed out so harshly at me. The tire had popped. So then, was it really the Clam chowder incident that made him explode, or was it just the final pump before he blew?
Needless to say, we had a talk the next day and worked things out. There was more on his mind then just that. It turned out there were a lot of things that made him finally give out. But the point is, I didn't know when he was going to burst.
Some, it may only take a few pumps, others are made of a tougher thorn resistant tube that can take quite a while to finally explode. But what I learned from this experience and the council that I pass onto others, is to not know the breaking pint of the tire, but to refrain completely from even risking the integrity of the tire.
You don't always know what is going on in the mind of someone you care about. What I invite all to do this evening, is to use the release valve and work things out. It is the only way to keep things from blowing up in your face. Love others enough to ask them if they need help or ask for that help yourself.
Have the faith knowing that you will be able to overcome and get along with those you care about. I can promise that you will be able to have more meaningful and happier relationships if you do.
Have a great week everybody. I'll be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment